Monday, November 14, 2011

Becky: Week One, Day One

I'm opening a new chapter in my life: running! For many years I claimed that I couldn't run because my knees are weak and my legs get itchy. But over the past several weeks, I have been walking/jogging on and off with my 2-year-old in tow (read: pushing her in a stroller in front of me). I discovered that the itchy leg thing goes away after a few days, and my knees have slowly become stronger by adding some yoga and strength training in between runs. I have also been inspired by several friends and family members this last year who have successfully started running on a regular basis. They have lost weight and even participated in 5K's and 1/2 marathons. And most of them did it by using the Couch to 5K program. So, I am going to give it a try. I have an excellent neighborhood to run in, and mild southern weather to enjoy (hopefully) all winter long. And, my mom will be participating in this program with me from rainy Washington state. You'll hear more from her very soon. I am so excited to begin this journey with her, even if we are on opposite ends of the country. This blog will help us keep track of our training schedule and keep each other motivated.

So, I've printed out my running schedule, as found on Cool Running. As it suggests, I plan on jogging/walking three days a week. It says to rest in between, but I plan on incorporating some aerobic activity and yoga on the off days. If all goes well, I'll be running a 30 minute 5K by the end of nine weeks! I might have to modify a little bit since I will be pushing my daughter in a non-jogging stroller, AND my neighborhood is very hilly...but I figure all of those extra challenges will only make me stronger!

Here's my current weight: 145 lbs.
Goal weight: 115 lbs

I'm not sure how long it will take me to lose 30 lbs, but there's only one way to find out: Ready. Set. Run!

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Well, I lounged in bed this morning till 9:00 and then find your invitation on my email. The day is screaming by so I'd better get busy.