Sunday, August 31, 2008

A New Goal

I started this blog almost two weeks ago and I've definitely had my ups and downs. That's perfectly ok. I didn't expect to be the perfect dieter. But I am learning a lot about myself. I am starting to realize what my body needs as far as food and exercise at different times throughout the day.

I have noticed some patterns:

Most mornings, I feel in control of my choices and it is not hard to make the right decisions. My appetite isn't huge, and I usually have enough energy for exercising. But, if I don't exercise before noon, it usually won't happen for the rest of the day.

In the afternoon and evening, I am tired and feel as though my taste buds and stomach take over my brain. It's especially worse if I didn't exercise that morning. I want to eat everything! Sue and I talked about this. We both seem to get the munchies at night time.

And then there's the three day pattern. I can usually do really well for a couple of days, then crash on the third day. I need to find a better balance. Or, I could just blame it on wacky hormones!

So here's my new goal: Continue to strive for good mornings that include exercise and a sufficient breakfast. Then later on, eat a healthy lunch when I am most in the mood for veggies and light food. When afternoon comes, stay busy with the kids or other activities that don't involve eating other than a small snack. At night, eat a filling dinner and don't stay up late enough to let my body think it is hungry again. Even though Taco Bell claims it, there really is NO fourth meal. Here's to my new goal!

2 comments:

Sue said...

Have you considered the afternoon nap? This helps me beat the afternoon hungries. You will be tired in the afternoon and want food for extra energy, so, lock E. in his room and put O. in the crib and tell them it is your "resting time". You will be amazed at what 20 minutes of rest will do. Set the timer and let yourself fall asleep if you can. You body takes longer than that to get into a sleep cycle, so you should not wake up groggy. My kids HATE resting time, but I LOVE it. I have to give them some good things to tell their therapists when they are older, so I persist! A. told me that I was "a really good mom, until (I) came up with this resting time thing."

Becky Sharp said...

Resting time would be lovely if little O still slept in a crib, or took naps at all! Occasionally I can get him to lay down for a minute, but then he just climbs out of his bed and comes to my room and yells at me to "Get up!!!" My big boy E on the other hand is very good about letting me rest if I need it, unless he feels inclined to jump on my bed two inches from where my head is laying. Maybe someday it will be possible. I can always dream!

Thanks, Sue...and keep on demanding resting time every day no matter what your kids say!