Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Day 9

Weight: 127.5

I have to honestly say that I'm having a hard time. I must be at a 1-week slump or something. I can feel my motivation and resolve waning. I think the reason why is that I was lazy about food portion control and food selection. And, I did not exercise as much as I would have liked to. It remains difficult with limited space and children who require my constant attention. Otherwise, I could have seen some pretty extreme results this first week had I really overcome these obstacles.

I'll admit that I have always had an unhealthy relationship with food. I've discovered over the years that I use food to fill some emotional need that I have. I eat when I'm bored, or depressed, or anxious (like a lot of people). But most of all, I eat because I ENJOY it way too much...the flavors, the textures, are all so thrilling to me. I actually feel a kind of euphoria when I am eating. And usually I overeat because I want the feeling to continue. This is not healthy! I should not feel the emotional response to food that I do! Food should be for keeping my body alive, and that's all!!!

I haven't figured out how to correct this problem entirely. One thing I noticed in the past was when I got in to a good exercise routine (about 5 times a week), it helped me to almost defeat my emotional need for food. I lost cravings for the more fatty /sweet/carb-loaded foods and was better about eating the right amount of food. And my metabolism sped up, so I could still eat some of the things I refused to give up. I get a little resentful of diets when I feel completely restricted. Then I eat in spite of myself. That's self-defeating!

So, with all that on the table (ignore the pun), I feel like I can start this week with a new goal. The key is exercising! Five times a week! And it has to be somewhat strenuous, sweat-producing exercise. I will join the YMCA down the road if I have to, or Curves. Because if I can get the exercising routine going, the food issues I have will take care of themselves.

Breakfast:
1 cup 1% milk = 2
1 slice low-fat banana bread = 3

Lunch:
15 tortilla chips = 5
tomatoes and lettuce = 0
1 oz cheese = 3
pudding cup = 2

Snack:
green beans and tomatoes = 0
2 chicken nuggets = 3

4 comments:

Becky Sharp said...

Ok, I figured out what else is going on...I'm having major PMS. I have all the symptoms: hunger, fatigue, hunger, bloating, hunger, grumpiness, did I mention hunger?

Sue said...

How to be a better parent- school! WoooooHoooo, school has started. Hours of peace all to oneself.....ahhh, the joy, the peace, the solemnity. The lack of stressful eating. You go, exercising little Bec.

Duncan said...

PMS is a real pain!

Becky Sharp said...

Yes, PMS is a pain.

And Sue - NO gloating about kids in school when none of mine are! But I am happy for you. :)