Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tuesday Thoughts

Starting weight: 136
Today's weight: 132.5 lbs
Lost so far: 3.5 lbs
# of days on diet: 17

Measurements (inches):
Arm: 12 ---> lost .5
Bust: 35 ---> lost 2
Waist: 29 ---> lost 2
Abdominal: 37.5 ---> lost .5
Hips: 39.5 ---> lost .5
Thigh: 24 ---> lost .5
Total inches lost so far: 6

I am convinced that the Curves diet is not taking into account different calorie requirements for different sized people. Phase 1/Week 1 was great. 1200 calories seemed to be just about right for me. I even felt like eating less than that. I can tell, because I've really started to be more in tune with my body's needs over the last couple of weeks: a greater sensitivity to when I'm hungry, when I've had enough to eat, and what kind of foods to eat, etc.

Anyway, when I switched to Phase 2 last week, the diet required me to raise my calorie intake to 1500 a day. Not one day did I feel anywhere near that hungry. Granted, I've been sick, so my appetite was not normal I suppose. Still, every day I would eat my normal meals until I felt full enough, and tried to eat a good proportion of proteins and carbs. At the end of the day, I would enter all the food on the Curves website where it calculates daily totals. My calories were coming up short every day, by about 300 or more. The owner at Curves encouraged me to follow the diet as closely as I can, so that I don't sabotage my metabolism. So yesterday I tried harder to eat the required amount of foods. It was really hard. I made myself eat more than I wanted to. By the end of the day I felt bloated, and the scale showed it this morning. On 1500 calories, I'm gaining weight back, instead of losing. Maybe my low calories last week already slowed down my metabolism too much? Or maybe it was because I was sick and didn't exercise at all? I don't really know.

It seems like I should be listening to my body more than anything else. Shouldn't it take less calories to sustain a small person like me than someone who is much larger or who needs to lose more weight? It makes sense to me. How can a diet prescribe 1500 calories a day for all ages, all sizes? Even Weight Watchers has a different range of daily points depending on your age and weight. So, my new plan is to stick mostly to counting points. It worked for me in the past. I know it will work again.

1 comment:

Duncan said...

Definately listen to your body! Check out the book Water With Lemons- it has some really good weight loss ideas that really have more to do with getting healthy and it doesn't require you to count anything. Or you can just google the title and go to their web site. I've lost 10 lbs so far (but that has more to do with feeling good about myself than the book, but whatever). Best of Luck!